Individuals who constantly deny chances for personal and professional growth should introspect and seek professional help. It may indicate that the person suffers from an inferiority complex that can hinder everyday chores. People should consult a psychologist in Lahore, who can help identify the cause of the behavior and provide guidance regarding therapy that would allow the person to feel positive, motivated, and has a firm belief in their abilities.
People with inferior complex believe that their abilities are lesser than others. They feel they are incompetent and have low self-esteem. According to the DSM-5, individuals suffering from inferiority complex constantly feel their physical and psychological functioning and abilities are insufficient in comparison to others. People with inferiority complex remain stressed and anxious cannot thrive in various aspects of life.
Signs of Inferiority Complex
The signs that indicate an individual with an inferiority complex are:
- The person has low self-esteem. The individual feels incompetent and doubts their abilities. They react harshly towards themselves, which leads to anxiety.
- They feel that they cannot achieve short-term and long-term goals. Hence, they put themselves on pause and avoid any conversation regarding their plans.
- They are pessimistic and always think of the worst-case scenario, which causes stress and anxiety.
- They socially isolate themselves to avoid conversations. They constantly feel that they cannot effectively communicate and are below others. The constant fear of being judged leads to social isolation.
- They cannot take compliments. They feel others are making fun of their abilities, which leads to clinical depression.
Overcoming Inferiority Complex
The first step to overcome inferiority complex is acceptance. The person must accept that their behavior is unhealthy and is due to their negative feelings about themselves. Next, the person has to seek professional help.
- Therapy; the Road to Positive Image Building:
The psychologist will help the person understand the cause of the inferiority complex. The common causes of the complex are:
- The remarks and behavior of caregivers made the person think that they are below their friends and siblings.
- Societal and cultural shape people to act in a certain way. Women feel inferior in a collectivistic society. Eastern society is male dominant. The pay rate difference and lack of opportunities make women feel inferior. The negative self-image has an adverse impact on personal and professional growth.
- Additionally, personal experiences in school and workplaces can also cause the person to feel inferior and doubt their abilities to do small tasks.
The therapy will help the individual to open up and talk about their feelings and how they perceive themselves. This would help the specialist evaluate the condition and understand the cause. Cognitive-behavioral therapy will help the client to think rationally and change their thought pattern. It will make them confident, eventually helping them become content and productive.
- Surround Yourself with Supportive People!
Family and peers are known to compare and judge. Avoiding such people will help the person to feel better and more positive. Joining supporting groups will allow the person to fit in the society and have a connection with others who can empathize with them.
- Positive Affirmations and Self-Love
The person should use positive affirmations after completing small everyday tasks. Having a positive connection with themselves will allow them to be open and make rational decisions. Positive affirmations will help them think positively, appreciate their abilities and work on enhancing their skills; making them confident, happy, and self-sufficient.
The individual who is ready to change can easily overcome the inferiority complex. A psychologist in Karachi will help them rationalize and think positively, which would increase their self-esteem. Additionally, it will help them grow and become a competent person, ready to challenge others and become a better version of themselves.
Aside from therapy, improving your physical appearance could also help in boosting your confidence. You can start with simple stuff such as getting your teeth whitened by a professional dentist in Oakland or getting dental implants if you have missing teeth.